Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Toulouse for the win!!

Kicking us off,
Zone training! So it went better than I thought it was going to go. We
talked about all the new rules that president wants us implementing
into our missionary work and how exact obedience brings so many
blessings. Soeur Wolfe brought up a really cool point, she said that
God promises us that when we are obedient we are blessed. So when we
are always striving to be exactly obedient, God has to bless us. He
has to. Or He would cease to be God. God keeps His promises to His
children. That really hit me. I'm so grateful for obedience. It's not
just to keep us from doing stupid stuff, but it helps us become who
God wants us to be.

Angela! We FINALLY had a rendezvous with her! We decided to meet her
at a park near her house and so we showed up and I just about cried.
She was sitting outside the little pharmacy with her little basket in
front of her begging for money. While cute baby Nicolas sat in his
stroller crying with a runny nose. She looked exhausted. My heart
literally broke in half as I saw this struggling young mother. Her
life is so hard. She keeps being handed trial after trial. And you
know what she says to all of it? That it's the will of God and that
she knows that He is there for her always. She knows she isn't
forgotten. What faith. If I was in her situation and I don't know if I
could say the same thing. I'm so impressed by her willingness to move
forward. She's still reading the BOM every day and praying. I'm
excited to continue to move forward with her in this process as I know
that the Gospel brings so much joy, for I have seen how it has blessed
my life and the lives of so many others.

Exchange with Soeur Wolfe. Ok Soeur Wolfe is SO COOL. We had a
fabulous exchange. She's hilarious and such a good missionary. She
just does what God wants and she does it being completely herself. She
doesn't change who she is to fit situations. She's just honest and I
really respect that. We saw miracles together. We talked to tons of
people, fixed rendezvous, taught lessons on the street and had a blast
doing it. I'm grateful for her example of diligence but also her
example of that you can just be yourself and still be an awesome
missionary.

Remi. We had a heart to heart with him. Like he keeps meeting with us,
but he hasn't really been keeping his commitments and we weren't super
she if he really wanted to get baptized. So we talked about the
Temple. We just gave it to him straight, all the reasons we meet with
him and that his end goal is the temple, and that baptism is a step in
the process. By the end he still wanted to keep seeing us and we set a
date for October 10th, so hopefully he'll be ready. I know if he
really prays to know if the church is true he'll get what he's looking
for.

Hakim!
So on exchange Soeur Wolfe and I contacted this super cool student
named Hakim. He had literally been in Toulouse for like 2 days and is
from Africa. We taught him on the street and fixed a rdv to talk some
more. So we met up to talk some more, I got 7 mosquito bites during
the lesson but it was so worth it cause he is so cool!!!! So he's
Muslim but really open. We explained the restoration to him and also
eternal families and he loved it!! He loved how in our church the
family is such a big focus and how through Christ we can become closer
with our families. It was great! He's super open to listening but also
like really practicing Muslim. I hope we can continue to see him.

The Ducrocq's! Gosh I love them. So Saturday we went with them to
teach one of our Amis who lives far away. They are hilarious and keep
me laughing the whole car ride. Unfortunately our ami isn't
progressing very well and hasn't been for a while so we decided to let
her go:/ she's so great but she just can't grasp the concept that she
needs to be baptized again. I hope she'll be ready one day to accept
the gospel. Then we headed to go see Sophie who lives down the street
from our other ami. Sophie isn't doing too hot either. She keeps all
her commitments and comes to church either way but she is stuck.
Completely stuck. Can't feel the spirit and can't get answers to her
prayers. Now I'm not sure if it's so much that she can't get an answer
or that she won't let herself receive one. We've given her every
answer we could but still nothing. It's quite frustrating. We know how
much the gospel blesses lives and the truthfulness of it, but
unfortunately you can't force someone to believe. So we are giving
Sophie time. We're going to let her finish reading the BOM then we'll
see how she's doing. So it was kind of depressing because we had to
drop two Amis within like two hours, but the ducrocq's just have so
much light and love that they really cheered us up. For dinner they
fed us French fries and chocolate mousse. Score.:) even thought it was
kind of an exhausting day, it was still really good and we were able
to feel the spirit doing our lessons.

Oh how could I forget! Today we did something really cool for p day!
So with all the missionaries in Toulouse we went to this place called
Burger and Co. Now these are not your wimpy macdo burgers, these
things are huge. And it is hard to find a good burger in France. Did I
mention they sell Dr. Pepper there?! It like doesn't exist here! It
does, it's just expensive:) so yes I ate a massive burger which was
called the "highway to hell" (all the burgers were named after 80's
songs) and drank a Dp with some of my favorite people. One of my
favorite p days! Best part? Our waiter was SO nice! Gave us free onion
rings and free American candy. And when I went to pay he gave me too
much change and told me to keep it. What??  He was just so nice. It's
really rare that someone is that nice to 11 young kids wearing
religious badges. Either people take advantage of us and charge us
more money or their just rude. But he was so cool and I was really
grateful.

Good week overall! Taught lots of lessons, met really cool people, ate
good food and spent time with people I love. I love being a missionary
and all it entails. I love you all! Have a great week full of
miracles!
Bisous,
Soeur Holmes

"So it is that real, personal sacrifice never was placing an animal on
the altar. Instead, it is a willingness to put the animal in us upon
the altar and letting it be consumed! Such is the “sacrifice unto the
Lord … of a broken heart and a contrite spirit,” (D&C 59:8), a
prerequisite to taking up the cross, while giving “away all [our]
sins” in order to “know God” (Alma 22:18) for the denial of self
precedes the full acceptance of Him. In the name of Jesus Christ,
amen." -Neal A. Maxwell
Challenge: go read, deny yourselves of all ungodliness by elder Maxwell


Zone Training!!

No comments:

Post a Comment