Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Love is the key

Bonjour!

It's been another great week in Lyon. I'm just going to stay here forever:) I love being a missionary. At the beginning of my mission I always thought I had so much time left and that it would never end. But now all I want is more time! It's funny how that happens, I think it just goes back to love. You learn to love the place you are serving in, you learn to love all of your companions, you learn to love the language you are speaking, you learn to love your investigators, you learn to love the people who are mean to you in the street, you just learn to love. One of the biggest lessons I have learned on my mission stems from one of our mottos, Love is the Key. It's true, love is the key. It's the key to everything we do. We do missionary work out of love. Love for our Savior and love for our fellow brothers and sisters we are serving. God loves us so He sent His son. Christ loves us so He died for us. Love is the key:)

So this week we were pretty busy getting Sarah and Jonas all ready for their baptisms on Saturday and Sunday:) I'll give you the highlights,

SARAH,
Sarah is incredible. Her faith is amazing. She has so much of it. We teach her a principle of the Gospel and she just accepts it. She knows what she is learning comes directly from God and she puts her trust in Him. This morning we had a lesson with her and she kept saying, "I wish I had found the church sooner!" She is an example of someone who has been prepared for a long time. The first time she was taught by missionaries a couple of years ago, she wasn't ready. But she is ready now:) She keeps telling us that this is the time, she is now ready and that she wasn't ready before. I have a testimony that everything happens for a reason in the time frame that God wants it to happen in. I'm so excited for her:) I think the thing that touched me the most was when she was explaining that she is so excited to get baptized because after she will be a new person and she will feel different. She just gets it. She is exactly right, that when we get baptized the Savior washes away our sins and makes us whole again. :)

JONAS,
Jonas is also incredible! I have loved being on this spiritual journey with him. He was the first person Soeur Clancy and I taught together:) He is so excited to get baptized! He keeps telling us that he is going to take lots of pictures and send them to all his friends in Africa:) Jonas has now come to church 3 weeks in a row and has stopped drinking coffee:) He understands what kind of committment he is making with our Heavenly Father. I'm convinced that his brother who was a member who has passed on has been helping us this whole time to get Jonas to this point:) At the end of our lessons he always thanks us a billion times for bringing Him the Gospel. But honestly we didn't do anything. It was all Heavenly Father. We are just instruments in His hands. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father has given me the opportunity to bring the Gospel to my brothers and sisters in France, these friends of mine that I'm certain I knew before this life began. I just love them. When I think about Jonas and Sarah the word that comes to my head is love. :)

MARTHA,
Martha is doing well and is beginning to make lots of friends in the ward:) This past week she just seems happier. The Gospel makes our lives so much better and so much happier, I can't imagine my life without it. I am eternally grateful:)

ZONE TRAINING,
So we had Zone Training this week and I think the best part was the potato soup the stls made! Just kidding:) but really it was SO GOOD. I love soup. But the training was also good! We talked a lot about the new initiative we are doing Mille Membres en D├ęcembre. (1000 members in december) meaning that we as a mission are going to teach with our amis with 1000 different members this december! It's a great way to get the members involved in our lessons so that when our amis get baptized they actually have friends. Also doing this will help us be able to teach more at members houses and such. It's been cool and the members have been pretty nice about helping us out!

FREEE HOT CHOCOLATE,
So with the confluence missionaries we gave out free hot chocolate outside the institute building and shared the new christmas video on lds.org with people on the street! It was really cool and people would walk by and just light up and after they watched the video they would just kind of stand there silently. Too often we forget the real reason for the season. I love being a missionary and reminding people why we celebrate Christmas:) if you haven't seen the video yet watch it, https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2015-12-1000-a-savior-is-born-christmas-video?lang=eng

RELIEF SOCIETY ACTIVITY,
So Saturday we had such a fun Christmas relief society activity! We ate lots of yummy food, and people sang christmas songs in different languages, christmas stories were told and it was such a fun time. Martha loved it and made so many friends! The ward was really kind to her and gave her a bunch of stuff to welcome her into the ward, it was great!

SUNDAY
Ok so this Sunday in church was incredible. So the past couple of months that I have been in this ward it has been a little bit of a struggle getting the members to help us do missionary work. But yesterday almost every testimony that was given was about missionary work!! And how they have been praying for experiences and they have slowly started to see opportunites come up to share the gospel! It was so cool! Also this is the first time this has ever happened in my mission, but a meal sheet for the missionaries was passed around in relief society and it just filled up so fast! SO COOL! AND we the whole being in by dark rule it's been rough doing missionary work at night but the cutest sister came up to us and offered to drive us home from lessons at night time so we could still do missionary work after six pm. It was so cool! It was just amazing to see the ward really open up to missionary work:) I'm really grateful for the ward here and their willingness to help us out. Also for our cute relief society president who ran around after church with the meal sheet and made like everyone sign up to feed us. SO NICE! I am beyond grateful:)

I love this Gospel. I know it's true. This is the greatest thing I have ever done, and I am forever grateful to my loving Heavenly Father who has given me this opportunity to wear His son's name for 18 months. I love Him.
I love you! Have a great week and go out and see miracles!

Bisous,
Soeur Holmes
 “If ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?” (Alma 5:26.)

Free Hot Chocolate,YUM!!!

Zone Training

No comments:

Post a Comment