Monday, January 19, 2015

"If you keep mixing like that, you will never get married!"

Bonjour!
I hope everyone had a wonderful week! What's the weather doing in Utah?? Here it's still pretty cold and constantly raining! But it's still great and I still love it!
This week was crazy!! I'll start from the beginning..
So earlier this week we went and visited Sœur Rouselle, she is a member in our branch who is maybe like 55, never married, no kids. The nicest lady I have ever met. We go over and on the table she has this chocolate creme dessert that she has made and cake and she is just the cutest. We're just talking with her when she starts telling us how she has seen a lot of "not so good" missionaries in her time and how she thinks that we are such a blessing here in Poitiers and how she really looks up to us, she said she wanted our parents to know how great we are so she wrote them a letter and got it translated into English (mom and dad it will be coming soon). She's saying all of these nice things and I'm just crying. Now I'm not telling you any of this to be boastful or brag, but I tell you this because I was kinda feeling down last week, not really feeling like I was making a difference. Then Sœur Rouselle starts saying all of these incredibly nice things and I just felt like it was an answer to my prayer. The Lord is so so so aware of us and he does answer our prayers.

Later that day we had a rendezvous with one of our less actives Frere Chevallier, we had never met him before but had a feeling we should. We get in the rendez-vous and after the prayer Sœur Zenger and I just both had the feeling that we needed to be super bold with him. We asked him why he wasn't coming to Church and why he had stopped in the first place. He told us it was something about members in Paris offending him, LAME. We testify of the blessings and peace the gospel brings and we ask him if he would ever want that again, if he would want to come back to Church he then said, "I ask myself every day if I should come back to Church." That would be awful. To wake up every day and ask yourself that question. We kept testifying hard core and told him we are going to work with him to get him back. We asked him to say the closing prayer (he hasn't prayed in a really long time) and he said the most beautiful prayer I have ever heard. He has a testimony!! He just needs some love and guidance, I'm exctied to keep working with him.

YAZIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. He is doing SO well and is pumped for his baptism! On Sunday we fasted with him because he is going to tell his parents who are muslim that he is getting baptized. After Church we prayed with him and the others in the branch who fasted, after the prayer Yazid just testifed that he knows it's true and that whatever his parents say that it won't change that he knows this Gosepl is true! I am so exctied for him. Yazid will be my first baptism and Sœur Zengers as well, I'm so glad it's him. He is so prepared. He sent us a text that said how grateful he is for the Gospel and he said, "I've made wrong décisions and I have taken wrong turns, but I don't regret anything because it led me to this gospel and my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ." He has such a clear understanding of the Gospel. He always says "it just speaks to me". Saturday can't come soon enough!!

We had Zone Conference this week!!! It was SO good. President and Sister Roney are probably the coolest people I know. Not only are they cool, but so inspired. Our conference was centered around Christlike attributes and how we can become more delightful people as missionaries and for the rest of our lives. Wherever we go we want people to recognize our light and say "I want to be around them" we studied the story of Joseph (the one who gets sold into egypt) and how no matter how many bad things happened to him he was STILL happy and delightful and people wanted to be around him and everyone loved him. We want to all acquire these attributes so people want to be around us, just like Joseph. I also had an interview with President Roney and it was so good, everything he said to me was an answer to my prayers, he is so inspired and I am grateful for a mission president who has such wise counsel and loves his missionaries so much.

OK FUNNIEST STORY EVER. So this story happened before we left for zone conference, hold on tight, it's hilarious, ok the first one is just weird but the second story is really funny. So we decided to go pass one of our amis Mary and Fabian who we have kinda lost contact with. So we get to the sonnerie and we are trying to find their name but we don't remember their last names! So we're just standing there and this lady comes up to us and asks us what we need, so xe explain the situation to her and she decides to let us in and help us find them. So we're like sweet, and we get in the building and there is this guy who is maybe like 55ish sitting on the steps and he looks kinda crazy. He sees our tags and reads "sœur" and he starts freaking out! He starts doing this weird praying motion with his hands and yelling "no!! allez!! no!!!" He's pretty much yelling random words at us. And this sweet lady is like "no it's ok they have friends here they are nice it's ok!!" So he just keeps yelling and we are trying to get in the elevator and he is just being crazy. So we get in the elevator, head up to their apartment and they aren't home!!! So we go back down and crazy is just waiting for us by the elevator and continues to yell and do weird praying motions, finally we get out of the stinking complex and sœur zenger and I are just laughing cause it was so weird! 

So this next story happens about 2 minutes after this last story. So we start walking down the street to get on the bus and this classic little old french man with a cane stops and says "oh you two girls are just so beautiful and full of light!" Thanks Mr!! So we start talking to him and find out he is catholic so we tell him a little about our Church and such. He isn't super interested but really nice so we ask if we could say a prayer with him really quick! He says sure and starts to just say random latin words and does weird hand motions and then just says AMEN! haha ok... so we're like thank you, can we actually say a prayer?? So he agrees and Sœur Zenger starts to pray when all of a sudden in the middle of her prayer he just sticks his hand on her head!! She quickly says amen and I open my eyes and see his hand on her head and I'm trying really hard not to laugh, then he turns to me and says "you too" and he sticks his hand on my head and it's there for like a good 5 seconds and he's like "this is the hand of God.." umm no but thanks mr! So then he takes his hand off my head and turns to Sœur Zenger and tries to beez her (that's where you do the kiss on each cheek) and she's like no no no no no!! Sorry!!! And it's just funny and finally he stops trying to kiss her and shakes both of our hands instead. It was pretty funny and we laughed about it the whole day:)

Saturday we had a full night! Relief Society activity, and the branch activity! So for the relief society activity we were Learning how to make galette de rois which is this cake they make at the beginning of every year and they put a little porcelain king or queen in the mixture and if it ends up in your piece of cake you get the crown! So it's super fun and I'm just minding my own buisness mixing this up, when Sœur Girard turns to me and says "Sœur Holmes! You are not mixing that right! If you keep mixing like that you will never get married!!" hahahah I couldn't help but laugh cause she was dead serious! Guess I should work on my cooking skills:) The branch activity was super fun! We played Mafia, it's a lot harder when it's all in french but still super fun, then we ate yummy food and it was great.

This week was so good! Miracles, food, and of course fun! I'm so blessed to be in Poitiers, serving these amazing people. I love the work and I love my Savior. And I love all of you! Have a great week!!
Love,
Sœur Holmes





Zone Conference



Apparently if I keep mixing like this, I will never get married!



Me and Soeur Zenger  "Team Work"



The young adults in our Branch




No comments:

Post a Comment